Saturday, March 6, 2010

And Then I Closed A Door

I have never in my life had trouble opening a door, but believe me, there is no way of telling how to open a door in Estonia. It's rather ridiculous. Sometimes you have to push the door to open it...but sometimes you have to pull it to open it. There are handles on all the doors, so even if you have to push the door open, you have to push the handle, not a bar like in the United States. I usually run into a door at least twice a week because I think you are supposed to push it open...but no, you pull it open. Yesterday, Sean and I went to a travel agency to ask about trips to Russia. When we went to leave the building we went to open the door. We had NO idea what we were supposed to do. We tried pushing and pulling and it wouldn't open. We saw another man coming so we pretended like we were busy talking so we could watch how he opened the door. Magically, he pushed one of the double doors and it opened! Needless to say, I felt like an idiot because I couldn't open a door. The worst is when there are Estonian people watching you try to open a door and you are pushing and pulling and nothing is happening. That makes you feel like a real genius. It's all rather funny. It would make my day if I ever saw and Estonian run into a door because they were confused too. That's when you know there is a problem-when Estonians can't even figure out their own door systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment